They let church out after fast and testimony meeting today, 3/2/2014, because of an ice storm. I came home, had something to eat and looked for a movie to watch on television. I found “Lawrence of Arabia.” staring
Peter O’Toole as Captain T.E. Lawrence. You can look up Lawrence and
find out who he was. It is one of the all time great movies. It won 7
academy awards. It is almost 4 hours long but it can be watched in
segments. I recommend it.
The person who made Lawrence famous was Lowell
Thomas. Thomas was a very well known writer, broadcaster, traveler and
adventure film maker. I remember him from my youth. He would give the
nightly news on the radio and would always sign off with these words,
“So long until tomorrow.” In the movie the name Jackson Bentley is substituted for Thomas.
Lowell Thomas was also the voice of “Movietone
News.” Before television and especially during WWII, the only way we
could see moving pictures of the news was at the movie theatre. So
“Movietone News” and listening to the news on the radio were a big part
of my life and so was Lowell Thomas.
About 1976, Dawnie and I went to Chicago to a
restaurant convention. Our family was living in Evansville, IN. at the
time. We were standing in line checking in to the Palmer House Hotel in
Chicago when I noticed a man ahead of us in the line and pointed him
out to Dawnie saying, “That looks like Lowell Thomas. When it came his
turn to check in I heard him tell the girl at the counter, “The name is
Thomas.”
When he walked by us I stepped out and asked
him, “You wouldn’t be Lowell Thomas would you? He replied “At this
time of day I am not sure who I am.” He stuck out his hand and I
introduced ourselves. He wanted to know where we were from and I told
him Indiana. For some reason I also told him we were both originally
from Idaho.
He mentioned that he was with Averill Harriman
when he picked out the site for Sun Valley. When I told him we were
married in Sun Valley he really perked up. He walked along with us as
we moved to the check in desk. We talked briefly after we got our key
and then we parted.
A little while after we got settled in our
room I got the ice bucket and went down the hall to the ice machine. As
I was filling up my ice bucket I heard someone walk up behind me and
say, “I would rather be in Idaho wouldn’t you.” I turned and it was Mr.
Thomas who was waiting to fill up his ice bucket. It was late and we
were both tired so just exchanged a few words. It was a very memorable
experience to meet and visit with a great American legend.
Link to Movietone. http://youtu.be/xaBeEP5Y018

No comments:
Post a Comment